Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Steel Trap

Five people at a New Years party on the top floor of an abandoned building receive text messages telling them to join the "real party" on a different floor. Unrealistically (honestly, if you got a text message from a number you didn't know saying "come join the real party downstairs," would you go?) all five of them and two tagalongs actually go, which turns out to be a very bad idea. "Real party" is code for "series of traps that will kill your asses."
Steel Trap was released by Dimension Extreme, which is a reliable label for horror movies that are entertaining and a good way to spend a rainy, unemployed afternoon. They're not brilliant or life changing, but they're always worth the rental fees (or, in this case, the five dollars you pay for it at a video store that's closing).
I happen to like "series of traps" movies. Obviously, seeing as I'm a Saw fan and all. And The Collector actually made me afraid of the dark again (and to all those people who complained that it was a Saw rip off, I have ten words: boo hoo for you; I didn't see it that way). Steel Trap was not nearly as effective as The Collector or any of the Saw movies (...well, maybe Saw V) but I enjoyed it. I even cared if any of the people made it out alive, which is amazing considering there wasn't one damn likeable person in the group.
The acting was average, the dialogue was weird (I don't know how to describe it other than that; it was stilted and obvious and sounded like real conversations and arguments but only if you overlook the fact that nobody talks the way these people did) and every character was just awful. And it kind of fell apart near the end.
But the movie was well made enough that I rather enjoyed it. I'm glad I saw it and I'd probably even recommend it to people if they asked. It's not exactly a glowing review. It's like a glow stick review. It's fun for a while but only really worth it if you don't think about it too hard. (I like glow sticks, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, you know?)

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: