Monday, October 11, 2010

Slaughterhouse

This movie didn't have enough going on for me to have a cohesive reaction to it. For such a short movie, it was awfully slow moving. Mostly it's about a guy and his son killing the people who are trying to kick them off their old abandoned slaughterhouse property. But they also kill a bunch of teenagers because it was the '80s.
Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

1) Why does Buddy only speak in pig-esque noises when his dad speaks to him in perfect English, which Buddy clearly understands?
2) While it was cool that there was a character named Sally Jean (she's named like my name!) she was too dumb to live. "Oh no, I'm being attacked! I'll climb back in my car, roll up the windows, lock the doors and then, rather than drive away like any logical person would do, I'll cower and scream until he smashes my windshield. Then I'll get back out and run so he's guaranteed to catch me."
3) All the dead animals (pigs especially) in this movie made me a little nauseous. I didn't watch the opening credits sequence 'cause I could tell what was coming (for a clue, see the name of the movie). I don't want to watch pigs getting killed. Just 'cause I eat bacon doesn't mean I need to see the process used to harvest it.
4) And how come Buddy's dad could understand Buddy's odd grunting language? They had the weirdest conversations.
5) I want to know if Rob Zombie's seen this one, 'cause the part when Buddy puts on the deputy's bloody shirt and drives around in the cop car with the siren blaring was straight out of House Of 1000 Corpses (only backwards, 'cause this movie was first). Also, similar endings. Hmmmm. (I like House Of 1000 Corpses much better.)

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: