Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sorority Row

How come moviemakers think the only way audiences will know a character is "the smart one" is if you make her a crybaby and put her in Eliot Spencer's nerd glasses? Most of the smart people I know aren't crybabies and wear less obvious styles of glasses (if they wear glasses at all).
I'm pretty sure Sorority Row is a remake of House On Sorority Row, which I never saw. I want to now, though, to compare them. Anybody out there got a copy they'd like to loan me?
In this movie, six girls in the Theta Pi sorority decide to play a prank on one of the girls' cheating boyfriend (who is the brother of one of the other girls). However, they don't really plan the prank, which involves the cheated-on pretending to be dead. So nobody really thinks it through when they drive out to an abandoned field and "look for sharp objects to dismember the body." And nobody expects the boyfriend to stab her through the chest with a tire iron. Well, that's what you get for being stupid.
At the end of the school year, the Theta Pi sorority house throws a graduation party and people start getting brutally killed. Well, that's what you get for being stupid.
The best thing about movies like Sorority Row is the characters are all outwardly horrible, and that way the audience isn't sad to see anybody go. I openly cheered a few deaths (and at least one of them was pretty funny).
I wasn't happy with who the killer turned out to be, but I can't think of any character I would have preferred as the killer, so I guess that's a pretty minor complaint.
The only other real problem with the movie is a lot of the characters looked ridiculously similar to me, to the point where there were some scenes where I wasn't actually sure who was involved.
Oh well. You know what makes up for that, though? Cursing, shotgun toting Carrie Fisher.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: