Thursday, May 6, 2010

Halloween 2 Unrated Director's Cut

I included this in Movie Lottery because on Twitter or Myspace or something Rob Zombie mentioned that it's "practically a different movie" from the theatrical version. I also just really loved Halloween 2 and I guess I needed an excuse to watch it. So, while I've never watched my copy of Halloween Unrated Director's Cut either, this one ended up in Movie Lottery and that one didn't. I'm playing favorites. Sue me.
I wouldn't say it's practically a different movie; it was still Halloween 2 and I still loved it. In fact, I have no idea why I love it as much as I do because it's all the things I tend to complain about. It's dark, serious, hard to watch and upsetting. But oh my god is it ever good! Much like with Repo!, I will never understand why people trashed this movie. It's fantastic.
Anyway, that's Halloween 2 in general. This is what I thought of the Unrated Director's Cut:
I'm not sure where the Unrated comes in.
Seriously. I didn't notice any extra violence or gore or nudity. What got added and changed around was mostly dialogue and character development. That's awesome! But other than the fact that Laurie curses a lot more, I'd say it's probably still an R. I'm not a ratings board, though. I'm a fangirl.
I guess I liked most of the added stuff but I am glad I bought the Rated Theatrical Version as well, because all of the extra dialogue and character development made the movie even heavier and harder to watch and I don't necessarily want that all the time. Maybe I only want to be kind of depressed by the end.
The ending was completely different up to a point and I'm not sure which ending I liked better. I'll have to think about that one.
And this version had one moment sort of near the end that wasn't in the theatrical cut that reduced me to a weepy blob of sadness, even though practically the same moment was in House Of 1000 Corpses, where it doesn't make me cry. That was pretty cool. I guess it was used to greater effect here. Proof that he's getting better.
Rob Zombie is a brilliant director and I don't know what the hell is wrong with some other (very vocal) horror fans that they don't see that. And Halloween 2 may not be my favorite, but it's definitely his best movie so far.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: