Monday, May 10, 2010

A continuation on A Nightmare On Elm Street

I was thinking about it at work, and there are a couple of other things that are bugging me. This isn't a review so much as a vent of frustration. It's a bit of compare and contrast with the original movie.
And it's, like, nothing but spoiler.

First of all, Freddy's motives. I'll admit that I don't really understand Freddy's motives in the first one ("Burn me alive for killing your children, will you? Well, I'll have my revenge by killing your children!" ...Wait, huh?) but I understand them even less in this one. (My conclusion for the original series: Freddy's just a jerk.)
In the remake, Freddy was molesting little kids, they told on him and so their parents, rather than going to the police like normal human beings, burned Freddy alive. Because they didn't want their kids to have to sit in a courtroom and tell a bunch of strangers what happened to them. (Yeah, I'm sure in such cases they don't have a more sensitive procedure.) Okay, yeah, sucks to be Freddy. I'd want revenge, too. On the fucking parents, not the kids!
How does this make sense? They claim it's because the kids told their parents what Freddy did but the kids aren't the ones who went off the deep end and decided fire was the answer to their problems. Don't take it out on them; kill their damn parents!

Secondly, Nancy. More and more she irks me.
In the original film, Nancy is smart, resourceful and strong. She's the only person in Springwood who takes the threat of Freddy seriously, she does her research and, as far as I'm concerned is the only person who can truly defeat him (which is why he went after Heather Lagencamp in New Nightmare).
In the remake, Nancy was Freddy's favorite victim.
That's it. He liked molesting her best. End of character development. She does nothing to make me think she's particularly smart, strong or resourceful. She draws a lot of weird pictures that I think are supposed to be creepy but don't look enough like anything to achieve that goal.
At one point she tells Quentin "In case you haven't noticed, I don't exactly fit in." I didn't notice. Drawing a lot and working as a waitress = not fitting in, even though Kris, Rod and Quentin all seem to be good friends and you knew Dean well enough to go to his funeral? What the hell kind of faulty movie logic do you follow?
Remake Nancy is flat, monotone and boring and she never really does anything. Rod 2.0 tells her about Freddy killing people in their dreams, Glenn 2.0 does all the research on sleep deprivation. Nancy tags along and looks up all the other kids that went to their preschool. Which seemed useful while I was watching the movie but looking back I don't see what it accomplished (other than yet another damn jump scare).
When she brings part of Freddy's sweater into the real world she comes up with the idea to drag him out of dreams to kill him (the one glimmer of brain function she shows), and she says because she was the favorite she might be the only person who can bring him out.
But she has no real proof. It's just a hunch. Her entire usefulness in the story is based on a fucking hunch!
She's more useless than Dawn on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. And ain't nobody more useless than Dawn.

End of line.
-Sally

2 comments:

Dave Zybert - Rotary President said...

Sally, what is a jump scare?

Staples said...

When it's all very quiet and calm and then suddenly something comes into frame or something moves very suddenly and the music goes "BLAT!" and everybody in the audience jumps.
In very rare cases, the music isn't used.