Thursday, January 5, 2012

Monty Python's Life Of Brian

Actually, if you want to get technical, a more accurate name would be Monty Python's Few Days Of Brian. But what kind of title is that? You Can't Call A Show Cornflakes.
Anyway, Life Of Brian is about a guy named Brian, who joins the People's Front Of Judea because he really hates the Romans. And that's about it. A lot of stuff happens (stoning, aliens, mistaken messiah-identity, that sort of thing) and most of it is a direct result of Brian joining the PFJ.
It's a Monty Python movie so it's very silly and very funny, and I think it's weird that the most famous thing about the movie seems to be the part where Brian is thought to be the messiah, 'cause that's less than half of the movie. It's just a few funny scenes in the midst of several funny scenes.
Much like Holy Grail, Life Of Brian ends on a down note (maybe not quite as down as Grail, thanks to the song, but still) and, because I am the kind of person I am, that really bugs me. Comedies with unhappy endings don't sit well with me. Which is, I guess, why Eric Idle decided to end it with Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life. So it wouldn't be a downer ending.
With everyone Brian knows deliberately leaving him to die and an entire hillside of people being crucified.
Sorry. I know I shouldn't give away endings, but come on. It's Life Of Brian. If you haven't already seen it, you're not going to. I just happen to be the world's laziest Python fan.
And it's not like I'd never seen it before. I just happened to be about six years old at the time and didn't remember much of the movie. I remembered the stoning scene (thought it was hilarious; I remember telling all my friends about it and I don't think they understood what I was talking about), the aliens (because they scared the living bejeezus out of my brother) and the song at the end.
What I didn't have a vivid memory of was Graham Chapman's penis, which is the first thing anybody mentions when I say I haven't seen Life Of Brian since I was six. Apparently this is a big deal. Nobody bothers to point out that there's also a naked woman in that scene.
What I will say is, if that scene left any impression at all, it's the fact that I have always had a crush on Graham Chapman. But to be honest, the only member of Monty Python I don't have a crush on is John Cleese. And as far as I know, I've never seen all the rest of them naked (except the Terrys, but only from the back). So I really don't think that has anything to do with it.
The point is, I think the reason the mistaken messiah-identity part is the most famous part of the movie is because it's probably the funniest (although I could have done with a little less shouting).
Which I say, and then remember the haggling bit, Pontious Pilot's speech impediment, the opening scene with the three wise men, the stoning scene (twenty two years later it still cracks me up) and Brian's anti-Roman graffiti being corrected by a Roman guard. And the jokester guy getting mad about being released.
And Stan wanting to be Loretta from now on.
And the people arguing at the Sermon On The Mount.
And the old man thinking being stabbed is worse than being crucified. ("You're weird.")
And ... You know, the whole movie was good. Why the hell didn't I get around to watching it sooner?

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: