Sunday, January 15, 2012

Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?

I really love documentaries about the life and work of artists I admire. They're not always movies I can recommend to everybody, though, because I feel like that's sort of a specialized genre. They're intended for people who already care.
This movie, however, I think can and should be seen by everybody. It's simply a biography about Harry Nilsson, but it's so comprehensive, so full of his music, so fascinating and full of ups and downs that I think it could make anybody love him.
I honestly don't know why I don't have more of his music. He was so incredibly talented (the more I think about it, the more I think of him as a sort of precurser to They Might Be Giants) and if I knew anything about writing music, he'd be one of my biggest inspirations. I love people who can write all kinds of music with the connecting thread of great melodies and harmonies, and that's what Nilsson did.
I don't think I realized how much of his music I've known my whole life. I knew I knew The Point, but there were all kinds of songs popping up in this documentary that I had no idea were his. I didn't know he wrote One, for instance, and I'd totally forgotten I knew Good Old Desk until it started playing. I don't know where I heard it before, but I'd heard it and I'm really bummed I don't have a copy of that song.
It's always disappointing to hear that his biggest hit (or so people say) was Everybody's Talkin', because if I had to pick a Harry Nilsson song I just don't like, that would be it. It's boring. And it turns out he didn't write it (which would explain the boring, certainly). I'm also skeptical about it really being his biggest hit, when my whole life I've always heard Coconut and Without You (another song he didn't write) more.
And speaking of Without You: somebody on Facebook a while back posted a link to a story about radio stations retiring Stairway To Heaven or something like that, and posed the question "What songs would you retire?" I said I'm against the idea, regardless of how much I dislike a song (such as Stairway To Heaven) because I am not the boss of music. However, I want to go back and change my answer to "every version of Without You that Harry Nilsson did not sing." It's so beautiful and painful (in the best possible way) when he sings it, and it's disappointing and the absolute worst kind of painful when, for instance, Mariah Carey sings it.
I thought it was really interesting that Movie Lottery bestowed this movie upon me on the anniversary of his death.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: