Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Drive Angry

Back when Drive Angry came out, I thought it looked pretty fun but I didn't go see it. One night Scott asked me if I had seen it and, when I said no, he told me that it was made specifically for me, and every day I don't watch it, the filmmakers cry.
Tonight, after months and months (possibly more than a year) of Scott saying I need to see Drive Angry, he finally sat me down and showed it to me.
Holy crap, you guys, this movie was made just for me! It is so much fun!
Everything about it is over the top. First of all, it stars Nicholas Cage (when you want over the top, you get Nick Cage). The first shot is of a vintage car driving through a CGI hell, followed by Nicholas Cage smashing into / flipping over a truck full of dudes, who he varously maims and kills with guns. (That hand flying off the guy's arm must have looked pretty impressive in 3-D.)
After that there are explosions, gun battles, ridiculous sex scenes (during gun battles, in a move stolen from Shoot 'Em Up), devil worshippers, stabbing, punching, profanity, ridiculous dialogue, and William Fichtner.
If this movie had been made in the 1990s, William Fichtner's part would have been played by Christopher Walken. And, much as I love Christopher Walken, I think William Fichtner played him better. If this movie had been successful (I guess it flopped) it would have made him a star. Rather than just this generation's "that weird-face guy," more people would actually know his name. He's absolutely great, my favoite character in the movie by far.
I can't necessarily say I highly recommend Drive Angry (to some people, maybe, but not in general) but I can absolutely say that I fucking loved it. Scott was one hundred percent correct.
And now all the people who made it can stop crying.

End of line.
-Sally

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great review! I'm glad Scott was right. William Fichtner used to be on As the World Turns, apparently (I had to look him up) which is why he looked familiar to me. And I can imagine, from some of the details you've included, that I am NOT one of the people you'd recommend this film too.
But I'm glad you had fun.
proffy

Staples said...

No, definitely not a movie for you. You might like some little bits but they wouldn't be worth sitting through the whole movie to see.