Sunday, January 22, 2012

Just Watched Gigantic For The Second Time: The Tale Of One Sally Who Thinks Two Johns Deserve A Better Documentary

Due to my self-imposed rules, I have to claim that this is not a review, merely a ... I don't know, a reaction.

As I was rewatching Gigantic: A Tale Of Two Johns today, I remembered why I don't watch it more often. (I've owned it for years and today was only the second time I watched it.)
The only phrase I can think of to describe it is "self-serving" but that could be so easily misconstrued because it's not the band being self-serving. The interviews with the band members are actually quite lovely and interesting, as are the interviews with some of the people who have worked with them.
The people I have a problem with are their famous fans who the filmmakers insisted on including in the movie for some reason. They're the ones being self-serving. I won't name names, except for the fact that I totally will: the two worst offenders are Sarah Vowell and Ira Glass. I despise both of them, but Sarah Vowell especially. Everything about that woman is offensive and if I never hear her voice (see her face, read her name) again, it'll be to goddamn soon.
Anyway, a few of the interviewees are way too pleased with themselves for being They Might Be Giants fans and I feel like they agreed to do this movie so they could rub that in the viewers' faces, not realizing that the people watching the movie are also They Might Be Giants fans, who maybe just love the music and aren't in it for the status symbol and accolades that come with being a TMBG fan (of which there are none).
I feel like a band as talented and well-respected (and who seem to have such good heads on their shoulders) as They Might Be Giants deserve to be the subject of a good documentary, one that spends less time patting itself on the back and more time talking about the band, its history and its music.
Just a thought.

End of line.
-Sally

2 comments:

Dave Zybert - Rotary President said...

Before you hate her completely, read one of Sarah Vowell's books. She's a very good historian and writer. And unless you get the book on tape, you won't hear her voice. I've read about three and I really like 'em. By the way, I had to type in the code word "cusnarb" in order to post this comment. Groovy.

Staples said...

Yay, cusnarb!