Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Devil Inside

In 1989 a woman named Maria Rossi killed three people who were trying to exorcize a demon from her. Twenty years later her daughter decided to team up with a documentary filmmaker and investigate the event. They went to visit Maria, who had been moved to an institution in Rome, and got together with a couple of priests who perform exorcisms behind the church's back (justifiably).
Understandably, scary devil shit happens because otherwise there would be no movie.
I really liked The Devil Inside, simply because it was entertaining. I'm kind of tired of the whole "found footage" style of movie, but this isn't exactly that. At least, not a first (in the beginning it really tries to look like a documentary, including interviews with experts and footage of old news reports). It kind of becomes found footagey midway through, but I was already invested in it by then, so I didn't mind.
Yes, it was kind of predictable. Yes, it had its share of jump scares (which tend to annoy me more than anything else). Yes, it had scenes of people just yelling at each other. But unlike Paranormal Activity, that wasn't the entire movie. Just a couple of scenes.
Unless you count the exorcisms. But that screaming is acceptable. It would be weird to not have it.
And what I really liked about The Devil Inside was it kept me interested the whole way through. Even when I could tell what was going to happen, even when people were arguing, even when I thought parts of it (or, really just one thing) didn't make sense, I was still completely involved. It felt shorter than it was, and it's not a long movie to begin with.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: