Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Urband Legends: Final Cut

The main impression this movie left on me is that it convinced me not to go to film school. Not because I think someone's going to go crazy and try to kill me, but because they made film school look like school. Yugh.
The movie was okay. It was about what you'd expect a straight to video sequel would be. There were mild attempts to connect to the first Urban Legend movie (the security guard lady from the first movie is now the security guard lady at the film school, and there was a cameo that was probably meant to be menacing but came off as kinda dumb), which were maybe a little unnecessary, but they didn't detract from anything.
The thing that bothered me most is one of the plot points had to do with the school's Hitchcock Award, which is given to, I guess, the Hitchcockiest film by a student each year. I guess the school has several awards they give out, but this is the only one anybody wants. One of the directors actually corners another at one point and says something like "You stole my genre. I want that award."
I'm sorry ... She stole your genre? Horror doesn't belong to only one person, asshole, and you don't even seem to like the genre. You're just using it to get some award. (That last sentence kind of sounds like horror is my boyfriend and this guy tried to steal him from me. ... Oh! Haha, I see what I did there.)
What was I talking about?
Oh! So the Hitchcock Award is a big deal but from what they show of the movies that are "contenders" to be nominated, none of them would win. They're all just slasher movies. I don't care what people say about Psycho, Alfred Hitchcock never made a slasher movie. Not one. Ever. And while I love me some slasher movies, I'd never put them in the same category as Hitchcock. So these kids are wasting their interpersonal drama for nothing, none of them are going to win.
The other huge problem I had with this movie: Every male character (with the exception of the two nerdy special effects guys, who were the best characters) looked exactly like every other male character. To make things more confusing, one guy played twin brothers. What the hell is this bullshit? Did they just want to guarantee I'd never be quite sure who the main character is talking to at any given time? 'Cause it worked. The movie seemed way more convoluted than it probably was because I couldn't tell who was who.
Other than that, it was pretty good. Okay, not great.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: