Saturday, July 17, 2010

Top Ten Kisses

Yeah, so this is an awkward list to post on a blog that's only read by my parents (hi guys!), and it's also a list that isn't in that Ten Bad Dates With DeNiro book, but I saw an internet poll a few months ago asking what the top ten great screen kisses were, and I didn't like the results. More accurately, I'd barely seen any of the results. So here's my list.

10) Elizabeth Swann (Kiera Knightley) and Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) in Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - I've always thought the fans who wanted Elizabeth and Jack to get together are kind of incredibly stupid. And I really shouldn't like this kiss. But you know what? It was a pretty imporant moment for Elizabeth, character-wise. And Johnny Depp is infinitely more pleasant to look at than Orlando Bloom.
9) Valentino (Vincent D'Onofrio) and Gary (Thomas Jane) in The Velocity Of Gary* *Not His Real Name - Okay, so part of me enjoys slash fic. Sue me. The problem with this scene is it goes on for too long, and it's shot in extreme close up. (Fun fact: Vincent D'Onofrio is one of two actors (Hugh Jackman is the other) who shows up on this list twice.)
8) Joe Cooper (Trey Parker) and Doug Remer (Matt Stone) in BASEketball - This is along the same lines as the previous entry, except it's played for laughs, it's unexpected and it's not filmed in such an intense closeup that it makes you nauseous.
7) Scottie Ferguson (James Stewart) and Judy Barton (Kim Novak) in Vertigo - James Stewart is a creepy, creepy creeper in this movie and the fact that Judy goes along with his crazy obsession to make her look exactly like Madeline doesn't exactly make her the most likeable character (which sucks, because she had such potential). Everything about the moment when "the transformation is complete" is messed up. Especially the fact that it's a pretty good kiss.
6) Sarah Ashley (Nicole Kidman) and Drover (Hugh Jackman) in Australia - This is the only part of Australia I actually remember, which doesn't say much for the movie as a whole. The fact that I've considered buying the movie anyway says a lot for the scene.
5) Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) in Iron Man 2 - It's kind of a cliche, but I love it in movies when someone is rambling and the person they're talking to shuts them up by kissing them. This is the best instance of that I can think of.
4) Jean Gray (Famke Janssen) and Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) in X Men The Last Stand - Oh, come on, if you woke up from a mutant-powers-induced coma to find Hugh Jackman standing over you, you'd do the exact same thing.
3) Erik Destler (Robert Englund) and Christine Day (Jill Schoelen) in The Phantom Of The Opera - It's the only non-Freddy Robert Englund movie kiss I can think of, and it's very brief but it's good stuff. Amanda can back me up on that one; I think it's the main reason she wanted a copy of the movie.
2) Holly (Holly Weston) and A.K. (Eugene Hutz) in Filth And Wisdom - Oh boy, this movie. I don't think I like Filth And Wisdom, but I watch it about once every two or three months because Eugene Hutz is glorious. The movie's kind of boring and isn't my cup of tea and it's sort of meandering and aimless. The end comes kind of abruptly, all of the characters' stories are wrapping up and you feel sort of blank and empty. Then Holly grabs A.K. and plants one on him and suddenly the whole movie makes sense. All the pointless, aimless, not-sure-why-I'm-watching-this nonplot is just setup for one moment.
1) Bob Howard (Vincent D'Onofrio) and Novalyne Price (Renee Zellweger) in The Whole Wide World - If you've seen the movie, you understand.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: