Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Urban Legends: Bloody Mary

Wow, what was the likelihood that Movie Lottery: The Revenge would start by spitting out Urban Legends 2 and 3 back to back in the correct order? Weird.
UL: BM has pretty much nothing to do with the first two movies; the only things they have in common are references to Foxxy Brown. Also, this movie briefly shows newspaper headlines that reference the first two movies. That's it.
This is more like a ghost story. A little bit Nightmare On Elm Street, a little bit The Ring, pretty good use of the concept of using urban legends to kill off dumb teenagers, and a death-by-spider scene that rivals The Beyond in squeamishness.
It's a little TV movieish (it's like a really long episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but without any of the regular characters) and a lot of it was predictable, but I definitely liked it better than the second Urban Legend.
As far as straight to video slasher sequels go, this may be the creepiest I've seen. The final confrontation actually gave me the chills, thanks to effective use of the song I Will Always Be There by Niki Harris. I'd never heard it before this movie but I'm totally in love with it.
There's a top ten list for you: Songs I'm Obsessed With Because Of The Movies. I can think of three off the top of my head. If I can come up with another seven, you can expect to see that list someday soon at a Mordant Airhead near you.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: