Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Top Ten Movie Songs

Here's hoping nobody's sick of lists, 'cause I've got three more (one idea I came up with yesterday and two I stole from Amanda). These are the top ten songs I heard in movies and became obsessed. Songs from musicals were not allowed, however, 'cause then it would have been Ten Songs From Repo! The Genetic Opera or Ten Songs From Little Shop Of Horrors.

10) Ballroom Blitz performed by Tia Carrere in Wayne's World - Sure I love the version by Sweet, but I heard this one first and it made quite an impression on my little ten year old brain. I love it when chicks rock!
9) Mad World performed by Gary Jules in Donnie Darko - This is probably the one song on the list I became unobsessed with due to over-play. It's still pretty but it doesn't hit me the way it used to. Oh well.
8) Seems performed by Queen Sarah Saturday in Empire Records - And this is the one song on the list I became unobsessed with when I finally found a copy. Man, it took years to track it down. And it's just not as good on its own as it is in the movie.
7) Don't Stop Me Now performed by Queen in Shaun Of The Dead - Shame on me for not knowing this song before I saw Shaun Of The Dead, but it's now my favorite Queen song. The choreography of people beating a zombie with pool cues in perfect time to the music was brilliant, and it's probably the best part of the movie. If you're me.
6) Super Mega Zsa Zsa performed by Pleasant Gehman in Pep Squad - Why the crap is this song so cool? By all means it should bug the snot out of me. It doesn't, though. I freaking love it. Which could probably be said for all of Pep Squad, actually.
5) Color Of Your Eyes performed by Smokey Hormel and Ezster Balint in Trees Lounge - This one's a bit of a cheat, since I didn't actually hear it in the movie until after I became obsessed with it. You see, it's in the movie so faint and briefly that I didn't notice it until I was listening for it specifically. I became obsessed via the soundtrack, which a friend of mine put on a tape for me. It was the only song on the soundtrack I listened to. (I can't find a youtube video with this song in it. And I thought Super Mega Zsa Zsa would be the impossible one to find.)
4) I Will Always Be There performed by Niki Harris in Urban Legends: Bloody Mary - Ahh, my newest obsession. The song on its own is good, but its featured scene in the movie (a final confrontation between a ghost and her killer) is so insanely perfect and creepy, I get chills just thinking about it.
3) Superstar performed by Sonic Youth in High Tension (sort of) - Okay, so the song isn't actually in High Tension. It's in the trailer, which is probably the most effective horror movie trailer I've ever seen (that "sort of" is the link to it if you'd like to see it). I love High Tension, and there's a song in it during a car chase that could have made this list if it weren't for the facts that A) I don't know what it is and 2) it's overshadowed by the amazing trailer and creepy, creepy Sonic Youth. (I privately mock people who learned of this song through Juno and never got to experience the glory that is the High Tension theatrical trailer.)
2) Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) performed by Nancy Sinatra in Kill Bill - I have nothing to elaborate with. This song is just great.
1) Happy Birthday To Me performed by Syreeta in Happy Birthday To Me - I don't care what anybody says, Happy Birthday To Me is a freaking awesome movie. "Oh, boo hoo, the ending doesn't make any sense." Says you. I think the ending is pretty brutal. In fact, the whole movie is pretty damn brutal. And what better way to end a brutal movie than with a creepy, haunting song? No better. (Okay, the only video I could find of the song shows the very end of the movie, so if you want no spoilers, don't watch it, but it doesn't really give away the twist.)

End of line.
-Sally

2 comments:

Dave Zybert - Rotary President said...

I LOVE the Nancy Sinatra Bang Bang. She actually first released it in the 60's, but not this version. I like the Kill Bill version better, though both are really good.

Staples said...

I knew she'd released it before, but this was the version I heard first. It's just a good song in general. On Youtube there's a video of Karen Black performing it with L7 (a grungy, riot grrl '90s band) which is also pretty great.