Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Despicable Me

Ahh, now this is much more up my alley: dumb fun.
It's a classic story: supervillain adopts three girls as part of an evil scheme to steal a shrink ray and steal the moon, supervillain learns to love girls, supervillain loses girls. (SPOILER: Supervillain gets girls back.)
I don't like Steve Carrell, but you can't tell it's him, so that doesn't detract from the movie at all. The humor is silly, the minions are cute, the girls are cute, the bad guy (another supervillain, who reminded me of Artie Ziff from The Simpsons) is ineffectual but very easy to dislike. The plot is simple and maybe even predictable, the jokes are fast paced and Gru (the main character) has a seriously cool house.
There was nothing about Despicable Me I didn't like, and that's saying a lot considering the fact that when I first saw previews for it, I thought it looked downright awful. It's not my favorite movie, I'm not going to run out and buy it when it comes out on video, but it was lots of fun and I might even go see it again.
Favorite scene: Gru reads the girls a bedtime story.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: