Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Toy Story 3

Andy has grown up and is moving on to college (holy shit, it's just like real life!) so now Woody, Buzz, Jessie and some of the other toys from the first two movies have to figure out what they're going to do now: live in the attic, go to daycare or be thrown away.
I say often and emphatically that I hate the Toy Story movies, but that's not entirely true. It's just how I express my frustration that I don't know how I feel about the Toy Story movies. You see, they're depressing. The first one is an hour and a half of people being horrible to each other (I'm not kidding, it's one of the few children's movies fueled pretty much entirely by hate) and the second one, while I don't really remember it, has that goddamn song (further proof that Sarah McLachlan is a brilliant singer as long as she's not singing something she wrote) and I'm pretty sure there was a lot of hatred in that one, too. Then it was pointed out to me that the Toy Story films are metaphors for death, and that was enough for me. I can't watch them. I don't hate them at all but I absolutely hate them. I don't understand it.
And, inevitably, I'll start saying the same thing about the third one.
But not yet. Toy Story 3 was really good. I only cried through most of it. This movie doesn't waste any time, the opening sequence brought me to tears. Great, movie. Thanks a lot.
It wasn't so bad, though. Sure, there was an obligatory subplot that was fueled by hatred, but I could actually see where the villain was coming from. I wasn't on his side; if I had been in his situation I wouldn't have done what he did, but I could sympathize with him. Until a scene near the end. Without giving much away, there's a moment that, as Shelby put it, really proves what an asshole he is. And the tears started up yet again.
The worst, though, the scene that would have made me cry even if the rest of the movie hadn't, was a little while after that and gave me the horrible, distinct feeling that there couldn't possibly be a happy ending to this movie. That's a really scary feeling when you're watching a movie that's marketed toward kids.
On the whole, though, it was pretty great and I definitely liked it better than the first two.
Just keep in mind, when I start claiming I hate it, that's only half true.
P.S. Mrs. Potato Head's lopsided eye situation bugged me through the entire movie.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: