Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lars And The Real Girl

Lars's new girlfriend is from South America, she was raised by nuns, she's confined to a wheelchair and she's a good, kind person who does a lot of charity work.
Oh, and she's a sex doll.
Lars And The Real Girl is one of those movies that's marketed as a comedy because its premise is kind of odd and there are, like, three really funny moments. It's not a comedy. It's a drama.
And I liked it way more than I thought I would. Partially because, once again, Ryan Gosling is a really fucking good actor. If I didn't know he was Driver (from Drive) I would have spent the entire movie going "Why the hell does that guy look so familiar?" He's good. He's very good.
Overall, the movie is very sweet. It's cool to see how all the people in their small town deal with Lars and Bianca. She stays in the guest room at his brother's house (she can't stay with Lars because they're not married), she gets a job and goes with him to church every week.
I actually liked the premise of the movie enough that I would have gone to see it back when it first came out but it just looked to me like it would be too sad for me. And parts of it were really sad. If I had watched it at the wrong time of the month I would have been an absolute sobbing wreck because of it.
Luckily that didn't happen, and I was really pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the movie.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: