Monday, March 12, 2012

Factotum

Factotum is based on a (or several? I don't really know) book(s?) by Charles Bukowski. It's about an alcoholic Matt Dillon who can't keep a job and occasionally is in love with alcoholic Lili Taylor.
If this movie had existed back when I was in high school, I would have watched it then (either during my Lili Taylor phase or because one of my friends would make me), and there are a lot of movies that fit into the "I woud have watched it in high school" category that I really hate.
I liked Factotum, though. I'm not entirely sure why. Nothing really happens, none of the characters are particularly likeable, it's really not my kind of movie. Maybe after Silent House and Interiors it was a bizarre, alcoholic breath of fresh air. I don't know. But I liked it.
Or maybe I was inclined to like it because I know my brother is a Bukowski fan and my brother is cool. Or maybe it just had enough moments that made me laugh out loud that I could forgive the aspects of it that ordinarily put me off.
Or maybe I just like Lili Taylor. Who really knows?

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: