Friday, March 23, 2012

21 Jump Street

I wasn't sure about this movie. The previews focus a lot on parts of the movie that aren't particularly funny or interesting, and how good could a movie based on an '80s TV show really be?
Well, about ten minutes into the movie, the main characters's boss tells them that the guys upstairs have run out of ideas and have decided to start recycling old, stupid ideas from the 1980s, and that this idea is particularly dumb. Well, that sold me.
The movie knows exactly what it is and doesn't try to be "good" and, because of that, it's freaking fantastic: really funny and smart in an incredibly stupid way.
There are a few scenes I could have done without (they did feel the need to go with the obligatory "best friends have a fight" subplot) but the moments that made me laugh out loud far outweighed the moments I found painful.
Also, this movie invented the word "asleepyness," which is my new favorite made up word, and had some brilliant cameos.
I was expecting 21 Jump Street to be dumb fun, and it was, but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it half as much as I did. I would absolutely go see it again; I didn't think I'd like it nearly enough to watch it a second time.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: