Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Alphabet Killer

It's official. I've seen too many movies and studied too many video boxes. I figured out who the killer was before I even opened the DVD case, based solely on the list of actors on the front of the box. It's depressing is what it is!
There's an episode of The IT Crowd where Roy really wants to watch a movie but doesn't want to know anything about its twist ending but things keep thwarting him. At one point he tries to watch the movie with Douglas, who sits there trying to guess what the twist is.
I, for all intents and purposes, am Roy. I just want to watch and enjoy my movies, that's all. The problem is, a conflicting part of my brain is Douglas, constantly trying to figure out the twists. I would really like that part of my brain to shut up sometimes.
Thanks to Buffy The Vampire Slayer, I have a pretty hard time buying Eliza Dushku as a police officer. I have no trouble, however, buying her as a complete nutball. Her character has a nervous breakdown trying to solve a murder (that's not a spoiler, that's the setup for the movie).
The Alphabet Killer was pretty good but, considering the course of events, I'm not sure if I buy very much of the "based on a true story" angle.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: