Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The New York Ripper

This is the most straightforward Lucio Fulci movie I've ever seen. It's a lot like any number of "cops chasing serial killers" thrillers, except way bloodier. And, because it's Fulci, there are scenes that come off as creepier than you'd expect them to. The hand gag in the first scene and the phone booth, for instance.
The New York Ripper is about a murderer wandering around New York (clearly), murdering women and quacking. I have seen a lot of movie reference guides and magazine articles that make fun of the duck voice but I found it genuinely unsettling.
I've seen four other Lucio Fulci movies (The Beyond, City Of The Living Dead, Don't Torture A Duckling and Lizard In A Woman's Skin) and this is the first one I had no trouble following. I think it may also have the saddest ending of the five, but it's been so long since I've seen a few of those others (I barely remember Lizard In A Woman's Skin at all) so I could be wrong.
A lot of people hate this movie (and, I guess, all of Fulci's work) because they find it sexist. I don't think that's really true. The killer might be sexist but it's perfectly clear we're not supposed to be taking the killer's side (what with the fact that the killer is, you know, killing people and all).
And blaming the existence of naked ladies and gratuitous sex scenes doesn't work as a valid argument as far as I'm concerned either, if for no other reason than New York Ripper was made in the early '80s. Most movies back then had pointless sex and nudity (and over the top violence) because filmmakers were still on a bit of a "no more Hayes Code" high (not as much as in the '70s, but it's still there). Maybe as an Italian Fulci didn't have Hayes Code problems but he was still making and trying to get people to see his movies in a time where other filmmakers were throwing off their Hayes Code shackles by showing audiences as many naked ladies they could convince to show up on screen.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, I don't know. I'm just saying what it seems like to me. (It could also just be that I'm difficult to offend. Who knows?)
Overall it's a really cool thriller. Good plot twists, lots of creepy moments, a good tenacious cop guy, a quirky villain and a professor who has to explaini the killer's psychosis (which is maybe kinda corny but a lot of thrillers like to do that). And then there are gallons of blood to keep the horror fans happy.
You've done a fine job, Mr. Fulci.

End of line.
-Sally