Thursday, May 26, 2011

Intruder

Intruder seems to mainly be famous these days because it features Sam Raimi in a small role and Bruce Campbell in a barely existing role. That's how I heard of it, anyway.
It's about the night crew at a supermarket. Cashier Jennifer is being harrassed by her ex boyfriend who was recently released from jail. Then the crew finds out that the store is being sold and they'll all be out of a job by the end of the month.
Then somebody starts killing off members of the night crew one by one. Hilarity ensues. (It's not laugh out loud funny, but there are a couple good gags; a sign that says "1/2 Off" sitting on top of a guy who's been cut in half and shoved into two trash cans, for instance.)
It takes about half an hour to start getting to the gory bits, but at no point was I bored by the set up. It's not as bloody as I expected it to be (I'd heard somewhere the blood was copius but it seemed to me to be pretty average '80s slasher amounts of blood; it's quite likely Netflix only has the R rated cut, in which case I'm just missing out) but I still had a good time watching it.
The killer (once their identity was revealed) was pretty entertaining in all their crazy and the only thing about the movie I didn't like was the very last scene. It was too unnecessarily frustrating and downbeat for my taste. I think it was supposed to come off as funny (maybe?) but it doesn't work and it doesn't really fit the tone of the rest of the movie.
Other than that, though, nothing but compliments. I really enjoyed Intruder. And I would like to point out that one of the jump scares totally got me. Not because I wasn't expecting it but because I was so busy looking at all the old cereal boxes in the background. (The movie was filmed in an actual supermarket during its off hours so the backgrounds are full of glorious old product packaging. If you're as much a sucker for that kind of thing as I am, this movie's got more impressive scenery than Lord Of The Rings.)

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: