Monday, June 6, 2011

Oscar

You know what kind of movies give me a good, good feeling? Farcical movies with ensemble casts. Especially if they're murder mysteries or take place in the first half of the twentieth century (bonus points for both!). Oscar isn't a murder mystery, but three out of four is a home run as far as I'm concerned.
Snaps Provolone's dad has passed away and his dying wish was that Snaps give up his mobster life and go straight. The day he begins his life as an honest man, though, everything comes crashing down at once. Without giving too much away the plot involves Snaps' two daughters (only one of whom is his), a pregnancy, three fiances, two tailors, three black leather duffel bags, four bankers, a police officer determined to find out what Snaps is up to, a thieving accountant and an Irish maid.
This is officially my favorite Sylvester Stallone movie. All those Rockys and Rambos can go to hell. I had no idea how funny the guy is; he's got great timing. Everybody in the cast does, really. The cast is mostly made up of every familiar-looking mook guy who was acting in the 1990s. And they're all hilarious.
It's interesting to me that John Landis is considered one of the Masters Of Horror when I can only name one horror movie he directed (An American Werewolf In London). I suppose The Twilight Zone movie kind of counts, but his segment is more horriffic because of what happened during shooting than what's on the screen (and the less said about that, the better). I can name quite a few comedies he's directed, though, and he's great with it. I don't remember much of Animal House but it's considered a classic by many, and I can say without question Oscar is hilarious.
What I really like about it is that a lot of the jokes are played over the top (Marisa Tomei's childish tantrums for instance) but just as much of the comedy is treated completely naturally, like this is just how people talk. The lines would be funny if the actors punched it but it's actually funnier when they almost toss the lines aside as if obviously that's what anyone would say in this situation. It's the same bit of praise I had for Russell Brand in the Arthur remake; it's funnier when you pretend it isn't.
Oscar is a lot of fun and totally worth seeing. I'm not sure why I don't hear about it more often. It deserves more recognition.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: