Thursday, April 7, 2011

Insidious

Now this is a fucking horror movie!
My stomach is still in my feet, my nailpolish is scraped down to practically nothing and every once in a while a chill runs through me for no real reason.
Insidious kind of reminded me of Ink, actually. Except instead of being a beautiful, heartwrenching drama it's the scariest movie in the world.
(Or maybe not, but it did scare the bejeezus out of me. And I'm pretty hard to scare.)
It is an insult to Insidious's integrity to have "by the makers of Paranormal Activity" in the trailer.
James Wan is an amazing director; I've now seen three of his movies and, honestly, he just keeps on getting better. I didn't see Death Sentence, but the three movies of his I have seen were all fantastic and Insidious may be my favorite. (We'll see. It could just be the enthusiasm of having just seen a movie I really enjoyed. I'll have to rewatch Saw and Dead Silence before I reach a decision.)
James Wan didn't do it alone, though. There's also Leigh Whannell's script, which was as good as the directing was. The acting was great (and that's coming from a girl who doesn't like Patrick Wilson or Rose Byrne); I absolutely adore Lin Shaye and that kid was adorable.
I'm honestly in the kind of mood where I could gush about how great the lighting was and how incredibly pretty the opening credits sequence is (it really is).
The problem is, I don't want to say anything about the plot. I don't want to give anything away. Insidious is a movie to be experienced and I wouldn't want to spoil that for anybody else.
I will say there were scenes that gave me a good Haunted Mansion vibe and there was one scene (and one shot in the scene) in particular that I will be seeing in my nightmares. I think it's the memory of that moment that is responsible for the occasional chills running through me.
I just want people to go see Insidious and be surprised, and be drawn in, and be frightened.

I also want people to not fucking talk during the movie.
I have come up with a brilliant plan and I think all multiplexes should follow it. Every movie should be shown on two screens simultaneously.
One auditorium is reserved for people who are just going to a movie for the sake of going to a movie, people who don't really care about the movie they're seeing, people who want to chatter.
The other auditorium is reserved for people who are going to see a movie because they genuinely want to see this movie, people who give a damn, people who have wanted to see Insidious since fucking August of last year and don't want to hear your stupidass remarks, which I can still hear, by the way, even though I moved far away from you and maybe you should keep your damn voice down!
... Sorry.
The only thing wrong with Insidious was the fact that I was the only person in the theater who was actually there to see it.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: