Sunday, April 25, 2010

Wishmaster

Genies are evil and they feed on wishes, which they grant in horrifically ironic ways (for instance, turning a girl into a mannequin when she wishes to be beautiful forever. Rimshot!). The person who wakes up a genie (who are actually called Djinn) gets three wishes, after which all the Djinn wake up and take over the world (I would assume in horrifically ironic ways).
Wishmaster is very mid '90s, and has everything you'd think a movie from the mid '90s would have: unpolished CGI (honestly, I was railing against this stuff? It's so lovably imperfect! What I really hate is the really good "blue people in Avatar" CGI), basketball, a Ted Raimi cameo and lots of talking.
It also had a pretty damn cool villain and a surprisingly likeable heroine. Wishmaster is pre-Scream, so instead of shrill teenagers being stalked by an equally shrill guy with a knife, we actually get a story and characters and things that happen.
Woah, look at me bashing the slasher subgenre. That's out of character. I love slasher movies. I don't love Scream, though. And I think this movie just made me appreciate what non-slasher movies can be: really interesting and really good.
I have no idea why I don't ever hear about Wishmaster. The most I knew about it was that I'd heard the title before (and, of course, that there's a Robert Englund in it) and all through the movie I couldn't figure out why it isn't more popular.
It kind of reminded me of Candyman (it even had a Tony Todd cameo to go with its Ted Raimi cameo) but I liked it infinitely better than Candyman. I guess not a lot of people share my opinion, though. Of the two, Candyman seems to be the more popular film, which is a shame. It's been a while since I saw it, but I recall Candyman bored me, gave me a stomachache and then ended. Wishmaster, on the other hand, is really damn entertaining and it actually kinda scared me without making me feel stressed or nauseous (the two things that caused my Candyman stomachache).
That's it. I'm going to start a one woman pro-Wishmaster movement. It's time somebody give this movie the credit it deserves!

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: