Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dance Macabre

The biggest problem with Dance Macabre is that the back of the box promised me a "shocking twist ending," which I figured out the first moment a person showed up on the screen. I then spent the rest of the movie hoping that that particular twist was a red herring and that the killer would be someone far more interesting. It wasn't.
Oh, yeah, the plot. Jessica's father buys her way into a Russian dance school, run by Svetlana, who was crippled in a motorcycle accident decades before. Jessica looks exactly like Svetlana did back in the day, which is just fine with Anthony, one of the instructors at the school who used to be Svetlana's boyfriend and was the cause of the accident.
While there's not really anything wrong with the movie overall, it is pretty much completely forgettable, but in a weirdly loveable way. It reminds me of the heyday of video stores: finding some movie you've never heard of and renting it based on the artwork and the summary on the back. Like the idealized 1950s (you know, the one that's all housedresses and casseroles and there's no such thing as segregation), it's something I'm nostalgic for even though I've never really experienced it. So for that reason, I loved watching this movie.
That being said, I'm thinking about getting into moviemaking by pitching a remake of Dance Macabre that ends with one of the twist endings I made up while waiting for the big reveal of the actual "twist" ending.

Oh, okay, fine; I was determined to write one review where I didn't develop my opinion based on a fangirl crush I've had since I was nine, but I just have to complain about one more thing:
I'm obviously in the middle of a big Robert Englund kick right now, he's the only reason I've even heard of this movie and, in a way, he's the second biggest problem with it. His character is obviously obsessed with Jessica, but she's always galavanting off with some weird faced magazine photographer who keeps sneaking into the school.
It's the same problem I have with The Phantom Of The Opera: Robert Englund is throwing himself at this girl, and she's rejecting him? In what universe does that make any sense?

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: