Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Brothers Grimm

Here is the plot of The Brothers Grimm: it's The Three Amigos but with fairy tales.
I loved it!
It had flaws, certainly, but I have no idea why it did so poorly when it came out. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for fairy tale movies, but come on! This is really awesome! The story is interesting, the performances are good and visually it's like a movie Tim Burton would make if he actually had any range.
This is the third movie I've seen Heath Ledger in, and I'm starting to realize why everyone made such a big deal about him while he was alive. I wasn't impressed by him in Brokeback Mountain (but, to be fair, I wasn't impressed by anything in Brokeback Mountain) and I thought he was the only good thing in The Dark Knight (but it's likely I would have thought that of the Joker regardless of who played him). Now that I have three roles to compare, I can see that he was really talented. I like the guy.
I guess it helps that he plays the more likeable of the Grimm brothers. Matt Damon's character, on the other hand, has two personality traits: he's Boring and A Jerk Who I Hate. I don't have a problem with Matt Damon, he's generally a good actor but I don't think he really brought it this time around. He could have done more with the character.
I've seen worse performances, though so it's really a minor complaint.
A major complaint, however, is this subplot about the French army. Every time the story really started to get rolling and I really started getting involved with what was going on, in popped the French army subplot to grind everything to a screeching halt. I never thought I'd say this but: Go away Jonathan Pryce. This movie would have been better off without you.
Could someone explain to me why this movie bombed? I thought it was awesome! Is the world just conspiring against Terry Gilliam to never give him a fair chance?
This movie is so cool! It's pretty to look at, it has some genuinely creepy parts (the face stealing mud and the thing with the horse and the spiders both gave me the heebie jeebies) and there's action and pretty girls and pretty guys and scared villagers and monsters and fire and an amused looking Henchfop.
What is not to love?

End of line.
-Sally

1 comment:

Dave Zybert - Rotary President said...

Another great Heath Ledger movie is A Knight's Tale. You should check that one out.