Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Ordinarily I don't include episodes of TV shows on this blog because that's just silly. But the Alfred Hitchcock set I just got has two episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents on it and I have a few things to say about this episode.
First of all, I love listening to Hitchcock talk. He has a great, entertaining cadence and a dry, dark sense of humor that makes me wish I had every episode of this series just so I could hear his introductions and epilogues.
Secondly, The Sorcerer's Apprentice was pretty run of the mill storywise; mostly predictable and honestly not even all that interesting. But the way it ended really got to me. In a movie that I would watch nowadays they'd show the whole scene in full, gory glory and I would have enjoyed every moment of it. (I won't give anything away other than that a giant circular saw is involved.) But clearly they couldn't get away with that sort of thing on television in 1962 so they had to be clever and only use close ups of faces.
And it made me feel sick to my stomach.
Either I'm getting soft in my old age or it was a really well done scene.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: