Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Woman In Black

A widowed father named Arthur travels to a gloomy town to do some lawyery job involving papers and a giant, spooky old house that the townspeople have creepy superstitions about.
Superstitions or ghosts?!?
I tried really hard to like The Woman In Black, but I had some issues.
First of all I spent the whole movie wishing it would end, but not because I wasn't enjoying the movie. I just wished it would end so the fucking audience would shut the fuck up. It's fine to react if something scares you, but there's no need to discuss it for the next five minutes. If you talk above a whisper in a movie theater, I hate you.
I guess that problem had nothing to do with the movie itself. But this next one does: the music. Basically, every moment that should have been chilling was ruined by the music. Every time something spooky happened (for instance, a shadow in the background moving because it's not just a shadow), the music let out a sudden, jolting blast. I have mentioned before my distaste for jump scares, but I have no problem saying it again: JUMP SCARES ARE NOT SCARY. They're annoying and they're proof that you think your audience is stupid. The Woman In Black would have been infinitely spookier if the music had been subtle and I had been allowed to notice the scares on my own.
They showed the ghost too often, too, but I'll let that one slide because ... because I will. I'm feeling gracious.
However, in spite of all these issues, the movie was definitely entertaining and well acted. I was involved the whole way through and was genuinely interested in what was going to happen next.

End Of Line.
-Sally

No comments: