Thursday, February 23, 2012

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

This is one of those movies I never had an interest in seeing. Judd Apatow doesn't interest me, the previews didn't interest me, I have no more patience for breakup comedies than I do for romantic comedies ... there were a great many reasons why I totally didn't care about Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
You know what? It's actually really good. It was certainly better than the Not Much that I was expecting. Jason Segel's a really good writer (which bodes well for when I eventually get around to seeing that new Muppet movie. Speaking of which...) and I approve of any movie that includes a stupid Dracula musical performed with puppets.
I should point out that if I had just watched this movie on my own (which wouldn't have happened, obviously, otherwise I would have seen it before last night), I probably wouldn't have thought much of it. I would have just sat there intending to hate it and finding fault simply because my expectations told me to.
But I watched it with a friend who wanted me to see it because it's one of his favorite movies (the same friend who showed me Killing Zoe for the same reason; of the two movies I much preferred Killing Zoe, but that should come as a surprise to no one), and that made me a little more inclined to accept the movie.
So I'm curious now, would that work with any movie? Like, if I were to watch, say, Schindler's List with someone who thinks I should see it (I haven't) because it's one of their favorite movies, would I enjoy it?
Or would I have to reconsider that friendship? "Yeah, I watch movies to be depressed and think about war atrocities. And you should watch this movie even though you hate sad, serious films." Maybe this hypothetical person isn't a good friend.
And they're ruining my point! My point is, I seem to be more inclined to enjoy movies I wouldn't enjoy otherwise if I watch them with a friend who likes the movie. I mean, heck, I really liked that Arthur remake in spite of the fact that it's pretty much everything I hate in a movie. Maybe I liked it because I went to see it with Lauren, who thought it was great and loves Russell Brand.
Who was also in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Maybe he's the key to this half baked nontheory.
I'd like to end this not-really-a-review with my favorite line from Forgetting Sarah Marshall: "When life gives you lemons, fuck those lemons and bail."
Now I'm off to find out why the chick who played Jack McBrayer's wife in this movie looked so goddamn familiar.

End of line.
-Sally

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should totally stop hanging out with that hypothetical friend person. Steers you wrong every time!
proffy

Staples said...

Hahaha! Seriously; Hypothetical Friend Person sucks.