Thursday, March 25, 2010

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

Freddy's Dead is choppy, silly and makes very little sense. I swear, there's a part where One Character says something about Freddy and Another Character asks who that is. Not two minutes later, Another Character suddenly knows exactly who Freddy is, how he works and what's going on. I didn't hear anybody fill her in. She just learned through psychic brain waves or something.
Freddy's Dead is also probably the most fun Nightmare movie. I get the feeling the filmmakers said "Okay, our series has gotten silly. Run with it!" I like that. I wish I could have seen the last act in 3-D, but other than that I have no complaints about this movie.
I wonder if Bill Hicks was mad that they stole his joke, though. There's a scene where Johnny Depp (oh, I'm sorry, I mean Oprah Noodlemantra) performs the "This is your brain; this is your brain on drugs," commercial. The second he started talking I was quoting Bill Hicks at him:
"That's an egg! That's a frying pan. You're an alcoholic. I am tripping right now and I still see that is a fucking egg."
When he got to "Any questions?" Freddy popped in, smacked Noodlemantra in the face with a frying pan and said "Yeah, what are you on? It looks like a couple of eggs and a frying pan to me!"
Somehow, though, Freddy stealing Bill Hicks's material doesn't piss me off nearly as much as Denis Leary stealing Bill Hicks's material.
Anyway, to make a long story short (too late) Freddy's Dead is super fun. I loved it.
And now, as promised, the heirarchy of Nightmare movies, from best to worst:

1) Wes Craven's New Nightmare (honestly, I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal about Scream when all of the things about it that people thought were so innovative had already been done, and done better, in New Nightmare)
2) A Nightmare On Elm Street (I just watched this one a few days ago, too; it's always better than I remember it being)
3) Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
4) A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
5) A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
6) A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
7) A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (I may have to re-watch this one just to make sure it shouldn't switch places with Nightmare Five; the only thing I really remember about this one is that it seemed really homophobic to me)

And if any of the four of you are asking "What about Freddy Versus Jason?" I will tell you what about it: It isn't a Nightmare On Elm Street movie! It isn't a Friday The Thirteenth movie, either. It isn't canon, it's a fucking one-off comic book that somehow ended up being a movie instead. I like it, I think it's fun, but the idea that it could ever be included in either series disgusts me.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: