Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Subterano

An assassin on the run from the police, his ex girlfriend, an old man who just lost his job, an uptight security officer and four amusingly dressed teenagers are trapped in a parking structure and forced to play a real life version of a popular virtual reality video game called Subterano. And it takes place in the future so there are lasers and robots and shit.
And this fucking thing which starts out looking like a kind of cute "pile of balls" robot, but in suddenly morphs without warning into that horrifying bird thing and says "Hi, Monkey!" in its creepy cute robot voice and I had to stifle a scream.
That happened about twenty minutes into the movie and it was definitely the most exciting part.
Subterano is one of those movies I bought for super cheap from a library sale in the hopes that I'd find some unsung hero of cheap, straight to video and / or ignored movies. It's a habit I've been trying to break myself of in the past several months, seeing as I can't recall one gem I've bought under those circumstances.
Not that this one's bad, exactly, it's just not really good. I had a really hard time staying interested, and I figured out the "big reveal" pretty early on. That always makes things more difficult to enjoy.
It was kind of fun watching the security officer get crazier and crazier as the movie went on and it was always nice to see that damn creepy robot bird thing. I just wish the movie had held my attention better.

End of line.
-Sally

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

creepy robot bird thing!!!! I "eeeped" when I saw just the picture of it.
EEEEEEP! just remembering it.
Too bad it was the best part of the movie.
proffy