Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Pirates! Band Of Misfits

I'd be hard pressed to say whether Pirates or Raven was the better movie (I compare them only because they both came out this weekend). The Raven was, as I said, remarkably average but it genuinely wanted to be good. And, honestly, The Pirates was pretty much the same.
Parts of it made me laugh out loud. It was incredibly silly, which is the sort of thing I love, so you'd think I'd have enjoyed it more. But even the jokes that I made a mental note to remember have already flown from my brain. I wish I could remember those moments. They were funny. I know one joke in particular made me laugh very loudly when nobody in the audience laughed at all. I wish I could remember that one. I want to know if anyone else thinks it's funny.
But it's gone.
The Pirates also had the problem of hitting a great number of story cliches that I happen to hate, and a lot of the movie focused on incredible sadness (most of it The Pirate Captain's). I cannot abide that much sadness in a movie, especially a movie that is meant to be a comedy.
Sadness Is Not Funny.
But outside of the painfully obvious plot and the painfulness within the obvious plot, I did enjoy The Pirates! Band Of Misfits. I might even watch it again, if only to try to remember all those little gems of silliness that for some reason have flown the coop that is my brain.

End of line.
-Sally

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! YEAH!!! You totally nailed it!
proffy
(now I have to prove I'm not a robot by typing senseless words...)