Monday, August 30, 2010

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

If I had known, back when this movie came out, that it was by the guys who did Clone High, I would have gone to see it in the theaters. But nobody bothered to mention that (which is understandable; Clone High wasn't all that popular) and it wasn't advertised very well. That is to say, the previews didn't make the movie look all that great so they overcompensated by showing a preview every five minutes.
So I was not interested in Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs.
Until Shelby insisted that it was very funny and I should watch it.
Shelby does not steer me wrong.
Shelby is an animation nerd and most of the cartoons of which I am a fan (Clone High included) are Shelby's fault. She tends to know what my tastes are and she doesn't make me watch absolutely all cartoons. When she's adamant that I watch something, it's for good reason (she's the one who convinced me to give Metalocalypse a second try, and now look at me).
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs is great. It's funny, the characters are people you actually care about and it has an actual story, something the book on which the movie is based does not have. (That was the other reason I didn't want to see the movie when it came out; I didn't see how it could have a plot.)
I laughed a lot through the whole movie, but the two moments that made me laugh hardest were the kind of moments of absurdity that pretty much define my sense of humor.
The First: The townspeople wake up to find their city covered in ice cream (it's your average cartoon snow day scene, but more colorful). There's an overhead shot of kids playing in a field of neopolitan. The vanilla and chocolate stripes are crowded with kids. There's only one kid in the strawberry section of the field and he announces "I like strawberry best!" Don't know why it's funny, but it is.
The Second: When the food weather machine starts going crazy and the hero tries to shut it down, the villain of the piece shows up to thwart him, yelling "Nice to beet you!" and throwing a root vegetable at the hero. As the hero dives out of the way he shouts back "That's a radish!"
The whole movie is filled with little moments that make me happy. It was a pleasant surprise.
And I totally want spray on shoes.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: