Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Snow White And The Huntsman

You know what's great about Chris Hemsworth? Cabin In The Woods. You see, I saw Thor and I hated it and I hated him. Stupid cryny whybaby Thor; shut up! But then I saw Cabin In The Woods and I didn't mind Chris Hemsworth in that. I thought he was quite likeable. Then I saw The Avengers and didn't have a problem with Thor in that movie; I don't know if the character changed or if my new outlook on the actor changed my mind about him. And now I think he was probably the most likeable character in Snow White And The Huntsman. And, again, I don't know if that's really because of the character or if it's because I'm such a fan of Cabin In The Woods that Chris Hemsworth gets a free pass.
Snow White And The Hunstman has a lot of fantastic visuals (although my favorite shot from the preview does not show up in the movie) and a somewhat interesting take on the fairy tale. Everything involving the evil queen Ravenna was pretty much A plus as far as I'm concerned. She was scary, she was evil, she had fantastic costumes and almost all of the really visually striking moments in the movie revolved around her.
However, and I'm sure a lot of people have mentioned this, I question the accuracy of a magic mirror that claims Kristen Stewart is prettier than Charlize Theron. I mean, I suppose it's a matter of taste, but so much of what makes Charlize Theron attractive in this movie is the way she carries herself and plays her part. She acts every bit the evil queen and it comes out gorgeous.
Kristen Stewart on the other hand, comes across the same as she did in the one Twilight movie I saw and every picture I've seen of her. She looks bored, mildly confused and more than a little annoyed. All the characters in the movie talk about Snow White's rebellious nature, her strong spirit, her beauty and her power but those are all informed attributes. I only know they're there because the other characters keep saying they're there. The actress never bothers to show them to us.
I know a lot of people mock Keira Knightly for being thin and not being the world's greatest actress (I have no qualms with her) but near the end of this movie Kristen Stewart has a big rallying the troops speech which reminded me vaguely of the speech Keira Knightly gives near the end of the third Pirates movie. But, while Elizabeth Swann made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and made me want to get up and cheer and hoist the colors goddamnit, Snow White made me want to tell someone to shut that screechy woman up. So there that is.
I'm really annoyed with Kristen Stewart, honestly, because I thought she was great in Panic Room and nothing else. Why did she feel the need to stop acting if she wasn't going to quit acting?
All I'm saying is, it's clear she only got the part in this movie because she's the star of a popular film franchise and not because she could actually play the character well.
I also had a problem with the way they did the dwarves in this movie. Yes, I love Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane, Nick Frost and all the other actors who played them, but why bother hiring name actors and dwarf doubles for them rather than just hire little people to play the roles? There are little people out there who could play the parts and would probably love the chance to play real characters instead of Mini Mes and jesters.
And when are bad guys going to learn that when they have the one person who can stop them in their clutches, they should just kill them rather than explain to them why they need to die? It's not going to matter in thirty seconds anyway. Just get the job done!
All that being said, there were moments of Snow White And The Huntsman I really enjoyed. There just could have been a heck of a lot more than them.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: