Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kill Your Darlings

Apparantly (apparently? I need to learn how to spell) there are two movies called Kill Your Darlings: an artsy short film and a full-length movie that has Stellan Skarsgaard in it. I watched the former.
I can't describe the movie, really, because there's no plot to speak of. People talk about love and there are scenes of a pretty woman being in a relationship, not being in a relationship, sloshing around in a river and then shots of an old couple in a park. And there are some end credits.
There's also a brief segment about fairy tales, which is the whole reason I watched the movie: Eugene Hutz plays the prince. He doesn't talk, he's barely on screen and when he is he doesn't stay still long enough for you to get a good look at him (but that's not really any different than seeing him in concert, so I can't complain). But it was him, he was there and that's the whole reason I sat through twenty six minutes of art film.
I don't think I'm smart enough for art films. On the one hand, I respect people who make movies that definitely mean something to them and whether or not the audience gets it or enjoys it is none of their fucking concern because "it means something to me, damn it!" I respect that a lot. Filmmakers should make the movies they want to make.
But I'm one of those audience members who doesn't get it (which is not helped by the fact that the sound was rather quiet). I spent the whole movie singing Experimental Film to myself ("I'm still thinking about your face implodes in my experimental film...") and then my mind started wandering to movies I hate. Specifically When Harry Met Sally and Five Hundred Days Of Summer.
Which maybe is a good thing? Maybe Kill Your Darlings was supposed to make you think about love and romance and romantic comedies that you want to get into fights with. I assume that was at least part of the point. So in that respect, the movie succeeded.
It also succeeded in the "having Eugene Hutz on screen" respect, which is one of my favorite ways for a movie to succeed.
However, if I'm going to watch a movie that succeeds in that area, I'll watch Everything Is Illuminated or Filth And Wisdom, 'cause then he's not just on screen, he's the main character. He even talks. And that's just fantastic.

End of line.
-Sally

3 comments:

Mark Darley, Author said...

In film school we watched experimental short films by Maya Deren. Watching those, I suspect, is not unlike what an LSD trip feels like. The one that stands out is called Meshes of the Afternoon.

Experimental films are a curiosity, and we watched them for some reason I can no longer recall. But I think that sometimes experimental turns into 'annoying.' I think Last Year At Merienbad is a full-length experimental feature. Try to figure out what's going on in that one and you might lose your mind.

Am I recommending either of those? (assuming you haven't seen them?) If you're in an experimental mood, give one of those a try. But don't blame me when your head explodes.

Anonymous said...

Dude... you went to film school?
proffy

Staples said...

I haven't seen those, but the likelihood I'll watch them is slim because A) I wouldn't know where to find them and 2) I'm not really an experimental film kind of girl. I just respect the people who make them for not giving a damn what the audience thinks because the movie is more important. (At least, that's how I perceive it.)
Actually... Is the head explosion both figurative and guaranteed? In that case, I might actually try to track them down.