Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Going To Pieces: The Rise And Fall Of The Slasher Movie

I think I've figured out why I love these documentaries about horror movies (not to mention making of documentaries in general, books about horror movies and, of course, horror movie magazines). It's got something to do with how every movie, no matter how lousy, has at least one interesting story behind it.
A lot of slasher movies are pretty boring. Sad, but true. Prom Night is the best example of that I can think of. Sure, there were a few cool scenes I guess, but most of that movie is extended dance sequences. If I want to watch a movie of extended dance sequences (sometimes I do), I'll rent a movie about dancing. It doesn't work to advertise your movie as a slasher movie when all those pesky murders are getting in the way of the disco scenes.
It's still weird to me that Prom Night is one of the more famous and popular '80s slashers. I guess the appeal of Jamie Lee Curtis is just that great.
My point, children (???), is that even though I didn't like Prom Night, I still really enjoyed the part of Going To Pieces where they talked about Prom Night. The people who made it and the people who like it made it sound interesting. And that is awesome.
Every movie has at least one good story behind it.
Hell, I'd watch a making of documentary about Paranormal Activity (if there was nothing better on) and I fucking hate that movie!
Going To Pieces was exactly what I wanted it to be: there were segments about specific movies, a segment about Tom Savini, a segment about common slasher tropes (the final girl and such); they talked about how slasher movies got popular, then boring, then popular again but this time with television stars.
And I might've mentioned this before, but with the upcoming Scream 4 and the fact that Going To Pieces talks quite a bit about Scream, I'd like to take this opportunity to say: I hate Sidney Prescott and if she lives through Scream 4, I'm going to be super pissed. She's annoying as all hell and I think part of the reason Scream 3 is the best one is because she's only in about twenty minutes of it. I do like it when she tells the killer to quit whining and grow up, but considering that was the only time in three movies that I didn't want to punch her ... Yeah, not a good character.
And I'd also like to point out that the whole "Never ever say 'I'll be right back'" rule doesn't work because I can't think of any slasher movies other than Scream where somebody says "I'll be right back."
Especially not one where somebody says it and then immediately gets killed, which doesn't even happen in Scream. Two people say "I'll be right back;" one is joking (SPOILER: and one of the killers, who does die eventually but that has nothing to do with being right back) and the other one lives through not only Scream but Screams 2 and 3, and is supposed to be in the fourth one.
Sorry, Jamie Kennedy, I'm calling shenanigans on that rule.
Sorry, person reading this, I'm off topic.
Going To Pieces was awesome and entertaining and all kinds of good stuff. It does give away some endings (don't watch Going To Pieces if you haven't seen Sleepaway Camp) and probably didn't tell me anything I didn't really already know, but that didn't detract from the movie at all. (P.S. "Didn't.")
And it was full of all kinds of gory montages. Isn't that the main draw of slasher movies in the first place?

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: