Saturday, March 2, 2013

Crazy Lips

I hate the phrase "genre defying" and other similar phrases that mean the same thing, but if there was ever a case for using them, it would be Crazy Lips.
This movie is such a remarkable festival of what-the-fuckitude that I'm amazed the internet hasn't made it insanely famous. I am still trying to figure out if it wanted me to take it seriously or not. Was it a horror movie, a camp comedy, an action movie, a drama? Is this the type of movie John Waters would make if he was Japanese?
The movie revolves around a family who is being scrutinized by the media because the son is accused of murdering four girls. He has since disappeared. The younger daughter goes to a psychic for help. The psychic and her assistant basically take up residence in the family's house and start crazying up the place and, in the case of the assistant, having sex with everyone.
The sex grosses out the younger daughter and she runs off to a park where she meets an FBI agent (an American character played by a Japanese actress who I'm pretty sure learned all her lines phonetically and spouted them having no idea what she was saying; she was my favorite character) and her translator, who have been following the younger daughter and are trying to stop the psychic and her assistant from finishing their "ceremony."
As is often the case with Japanese horror movies, nothing is really explained and I was just having too much fun to care. Crazy Lips is a blast. It also has the bizarrest rape scene I've ever seen in my life, which is awkward. But if you're not into that kind of thing, the giant action fight scene in the woods (complete with 1970s cop movie guitar lick music) near the end totally makes up for it.
Crazy Lips has something for everyone and something to repel everyone as well. It's lovely. It's wonderful. It's a delicious nugget of bizarre.
I am going on a quest to make it as popular on the internet as it is in my brain.

End of line.
-Sally

No comments: